Excerpt from this article:
Now I want to re-share this with people, but I’d like to be a good net citizen as well. Good net citizens:
- Source-check what they share
- Share from the best source possible
- Provide source/claim context to people they share with when necessary
To do that in this case we need to get to the source of the press release, on a site controlled by the American Psychological Association directly, and share that version of this. We also need to check that the American Psychological Association is the credible organization that we think it is. How long will this take?
Literally thirty seconds, if you know how to do it:
- Select the headline, search on it.
- First result up is from apa.org, that looks promising
- Go there, look to make sure it’s the same release
- Search Wikipedia for the site address. Find the article on the APA.
- Check to make sure the APA is a real organization.
- Check to make sure the APA web address matches
And you’re done.